Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's the little things that amuse me...

I've been driving back and forth to a linguistics class for the last week ("Why?" you ask. For the stipend, professional development points, and credits toward my next pay raise, of course!). During my second trip through Pownal, VT I noticed this sign:

I don't think that I have ever known anyone to develop such a strong aversion to a single name. Does this sign mean that ALL people that go by the name of "Jake" are to steer clear of this property? What about Jacob, Jacques, Jacobe, Jakov, or Jakub? Does that mean that if retired WWF wrestler Jake the Snake Roberts was passing through town on a promotional tour for his DVD and had to use a bathroom very badly; they would turn him away? Maybe I'll stop and ask tomorrow when I drive through.

Another amusing bit:

I noticed this ad in a local newspaper. Mercedes is a German car, dummy. Your car is about as American as Lederhosen.

2 comments:

  1. Hey City Boy..... Jake Brakes on truck that make the loud loud loud noise is what they are opposed to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed your comment... I am a dummy.

    ReplyDelete