Thursday, September 9, 2010

Getting something off my chest....

Ok... I feel compelled to comment.




Thank you Pastor Jones, for giving the Muslim world another reason to hate America. Thank you for your ignorance. Christianity is about loving thy neighbor and accepting others. My pastor just gave a sermon last Sunday that involved the praying for your enemy theme that I have heard repeated several times in different settings. You are a church representative and you have pissed all over those lessons. Also, by merely suggesting that burning the Quran as an idea to mark the anniversary of 9/11 (and to protest the building of the mosque two blocks from "GROUND ZERO") you have put the servicemen and women that are currently in Iraq and Afghanistan in just a little more danger than they are already in. One televised book burning that is beamed around the world could set off that one extremist that was maybe having second thoughts about strapping that bomb to his back and blowing himself up in a crowded area. Your hostility is misdirected. You should not indict an entire religion for the practice of a small percentage of the population. 9/11 was the work of extremist whose interpretation of the Quran is different from the mass majority. The pastor's bright idea doesn't surprise me, though. This country needs an overhaul in the tolerance department. I was standing in Subway the other day and some 16 year old shithead was commenting on Obama's plan to pull out of Iraq and more or less declare mission accomplished there (except without the banner). She said, "It doesn't matter because the goddammned towelheads are still going to bomb us," as if we weren't standing in a public place. I guess because there were nothing but white people around, she thought she wouldn't offend anyone. Wrong... I just walked in there wanting to "eat fresh," but I walked out of there wanting to slap a girl half my age in her ignorant mouth. I thought about it and I came to the conclusion that she probably heard it from her father or mother at home and didn't hate her so much anymore. The thing that resonates with me is the scene in the news reports of the US flag burnings that happened after the pastor went public with his plan. It makes me want to tell the people burning the flag that not all of us think that way. They shouldn't generalize Americans as Muslim hating Quran burners because not all of us feel that way about them. But, how can I say that when so many Americans already think all Muslims are "towelhead" building bombers?

No comments:

Post a Comment